A complete guide to taking minutes in meetings, whether face-to-face or virtual
Learn to take minutes like a minute taking professional so that the minutes are accurate and clear, and you're left stress free afterwards.
Taking minutes is a tough job - you're in a meeting with people who know a lot more about the topic that you do, yet you need to create an accurate record of everything that's said. But all is not lost - there are tools and techniques you can use to help you take meeting minutes much more effectively. This course contains all the skills you need to succeed in this difficult environment.
In this highly practical course, you'll learn everything you need to set yourself up for minute taking success, from the pre-meeting set-up to how to effectively take your notes during the meeting, through to how to write minutes which have the right level of detail for the meetings you're involved in.
What exactly are effective meeting minutes?
- Defining meeting minutes
- Types of meetings and minuting requirements
- What sort of minutes should I be writing?
Role of a minute taker
- A minute taker's key tasks
- Why the minute taker is vital in all meetings
- Raising the status of the minute taker
Setting yourself up for minute taking success
- Key actions before the meeting...
- ...during the meeting...
- ...and after the meeting
Collaborating with the Chair
- How to work with the Chair for meeting success
- Creating an effective agenda
- Understanding how the meeting will run
Your key to minute-taking success
- Actively listening during meetings
- Diverse options for note-taking
- Hands-on practice taking meeting notes
Creating your minutes
- How to write minutes for different meetings
- Formatting your minutes for the reader
- Capturing the key points without the padding
Managing the minute approvals
- How to manage the post-meeting admin
- Avoidng attendees editing your minutes
- Arriving at an approved set of minutes
Troubleshooting and minute taking practice
- Minute taking Q&A
- Common pitfalls when taking minutes
- Hands-on minute taking practice
Increased confidence as a minute taker
- Recognition of the importance of the role
- Confidence to speak up when required in meetings
- Influence Chair and participants for better minutes
- Experience of trying different techniques
- Clearer notes, logically organised
- Improved accuracy of minutes
Minute taking templates
- A selection of minute templates to use at work
- Awareness of requirements of different meetings
- Tools to use right out of the box
Better minutes, that others will use
- More effective final minutes
- Saved time throughout the minute-taking process
- Improved completion of post-meeting actions
As a professional, sales-focused training company, we recognise the importance of strong business practices to drive an organisation forwards, and ensure that back-office admin tasks are completed effectively and professionally. Through our work with leaders, we discovered a long time ago that if meetings, actions and decisions aren't documented effectively, then things just don't happen as they should.
Through his experience as a salesperson, manager and consultant, Neil Shorney, principal training consultant and coach, is hugely experienced in identifying key points and actions from longer, verbose conversations, and distilling those points down to clearly communicate the heart of a message. And that's what every minute-taker should be able to do.
During this course, Neil shows anyone who needs to take minutes, how to listen out for the key information in a meeting, and ensure that the right level of detail is captured so that all meetings drive the organisation forward, rather than the vital information being lost for ever.
|Delivery method||Client delivery|
|Virtual delivery - 4 sessions, 1 week apart||£1,600|